- One butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup +2 tablespoons light canned coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
Preheat the Oven to 375°.
- Put the squash on a large baking sheet. Melt about a tablespoon of coconut oil in the microwave. Drizzle over the squash, sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover with foil and roast until tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring every two minutes, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and shallots and cook, stirring, until tender, 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted squash to the pot with shallots. Add the broth and one cup of the coconut milk and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Using an Emerson blender or a regular blender in batches, purée the soup until smooth. Add more broth if needed and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into six serving bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon toasted coconut and 1 teaspoon coconut milk.